Child Pornography Defense Attorney Fort Worth TX
Have you found yourself in need of a child pornography defense attorney Forth Worth TX? Perhaps you have found yourself in some legal trouble and you are not sure where to turn. While viewing and possessing child porn isn’t a good or legal thing, the punishments for it can be extremely harsh.
It is important to know that the federal and state government has no desire to prosecute you fairly. That’s because going easy on child pornography charges makes them look bad. Because of this, when you are facing these type of charges you will want to retain an attorney immediately.
Kent Starr understands how delicate these issues can be. No one wants to lose their livelihood over a mere accusation. Contact him today at 214-982-1408 to find out how he can help. You can also visit his website at https://criminaldefenseattorneyplano.com. He has many years of experience in the field. Kent Starr is also known for his tough and aggressive attitude. Contact him today to book your free consultation.
Sentences for Possessing Child Pornography
According to USSG §2G2.1, Federal judges get appointed for life. And they develop rigid and harsh attitudes because of the power they have. Prosecutors will charge you with a crime that could get you up to 40 years in Federal prison. Because of the way the law’s written, they can allege and convict you of distributing child porn simply by possessing it, even if that wasn’t really the case.
In fact, the laws are so unfair that many individuals charged with child porn possession at the Federal level get harsher sentences than murderers at the State level.
Also according to 18 USC § 2251 and 2252, you can experience the following:
- Producing child porn: statutory minimum of 15 years up to a max of 30 years in prison
- Transporting child porn: minimum of 5 years and up to 20 years in prison
- Receipt, distribution, or possession with intent to distribute or sell: 5-year statutory minimum
- If you have prior convictions, your sentence may get enhanced
If the charges are “aggravated,” you may have your punishment increased also. “Aggravated” circumstances include:
- Violent, sadistic, or masochistic images
- The minor gets sexually abused
When “aggravating” factors become involved, you can get put in prison for life. Plus, you can also get prosecuted under state laws in addition to any federal violations.
What To Do If Federal Investigators Come to Your Home or Work with a Search Warrant
If you find yourself in this situation, only confirm your identity with authorities, and that’s it. Whenever alleged child porn violations happen over the Internet, it’s almost always going to be a Federal investigation.
If the Fed shows up at your home, requesting to search it:
- Do not give a written statement.
- Don’t answer any other questions.
- Make them show you a warrant to search your home. If they can’t produce it, don’t let them in.
- If they have a search warrant, let them in and stand outside. That puts you in the safest legal position.
Examples of Acts that Qualify as Child Pornography Crimes
Not all child porn crimes are the rampant ones you hear about on TV. Usually, only the most extreme and sensational situations make it to television.
Consider some of these real-life examples that can happen to common people:
- Your 18-year-old son, still in high school, “sexts” naked photos of his underage girlfriend to his friends (that’s child porn production and distribution)
- Your 18-year-old son has sex with his 14-year-old freshman girlfriend
- A 22-year-old man makes a home video, with his girlfriend’s consent, of the two having sex. He puts the video on his computer (child porn production).
- You visit a website and download child porn images (possession).
Now, you can certainly argue that any of the above situations involve lacking good judgment. And yeah, some probably should be illegal and carry some jail time.
However, should that person have to spend a minimum of 5 years in jail, and up to 40? Federal judges and prosecutors think so. Common sense says that’s insane. The problem is these federal penalties have been increasing, not because of evidence and a sense of justice, but because of people’s revulsion and, of course, politics. The actual effect of these sentences is that they make Americans feel better.
Make Sure You Find an Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer to Defend You
Because of the absurdity and inconsistency of the law, the best thing you can do to protect yourself when you face child pornography charges is to hire an experienced child pornography defense attorney Forth Worth TX. Look for one with a demonstrated track record of success. Make sure you ask them when you talk to them about cases they have won in the past. It’s the only way to get fairness in a legal system that doesn’t want justice.
Fort Worth resident with worries about criminal charges can contact Kent Starr. He has many years of experience in the field, successfully defending clients like you. Contact his friendly office staff at 214-982-1408 to arrange a meeting today. Kent Starr always handles each aspect of criminal cases himself without delegation. You can trust him to aggressively defend you each step of the way. You can also learn more about his various services by visiting https://criminaldefenseattorneyplano.com.
Fun Facts About Forth Worth TX
- In 1909, the Fort Worth Zoo opened as the first zoo in Texas.
- Home to TCU, a national university and member of Big 12 Conference.
- Fort Worth’s Texas Motor Speedway is one of the largest racing facilities in the nation, with seating for nearly 155,000 spectators.
- To learn more about Fort Worth Texas click here.